Top 10 Myths

MYTH #1: THE ISSUE IS TOO COMPLEX

No it isn’t. What is complicated about being allocated 55% of someone else’s land (by the UN in 1947), expelling 700,000+ Palestinians from their homes in 1948 (turning them into stateless refugees with no right of return), using Zionist armed groups to expel more Palestinians, progressively taking over 78% of the land in 1949 in violation of UN resolutions, and following the 6-day war in 1967, illegally occupying the remaining 22% of West Bank & Gaza, aggressively building extensive illegal settlements across occupied Palestinian territories since, all under the false guise of peace talks and roadmaps to nowhere.

MYTH #2: THE ISSUE IS TOO HARD TO SOLVE

Yes, it has become difficult now but not because it is complicated but because one party has continuously taken what was not theirs in the eyes of international law, populate the land with its people and new homes therefore, asking them to now move out is understandably difficult, albeit necessary.

MYTH #3: WHY DOES THE ISSUE SEEM COMPLICATED?

This seems complicated because:

  1. This has been going on since before our parents were born i.e., 1948 and has only gotten worse for at least 2-3 generations since, but this is no more than a 73-100 year issue, at the most;
  2. Everyone has a different narrative (Israeli, Palestinians, powerful proxies, etc.,) and thus, the world hears a lot of contradictory information on the subject but in the end, the historical facts are inarguable;
  3. Powerful groups with vested interests (on both sides) often repeat: The conflict is complex as a way to shut down conversation.

MYTH #4: THEY HAVE BEEN FIGHTING FOR CENTURIES

False. The Israel-Palestine issue did not start until 1948, or at the earliest in the early 1900s. Is it long?, Yes, but far less than 2000 years that is often falsely projected in the media. Fact: Muslims and Jews have lived amicably side-by-side for centuries prior to 1900s.

MYTH #5: THE CONFLICT IS ALL ABOUT RELIGION

Sure, religion is a sub-factor but to say this is about religion alone is simply false. The Israel-Palestine issue is not just about AL-AQSA Mosque but about stolen land, homes, farms, right of movement, travel and work – that affect both, Muslim Palestinians and Christian Palestinians alike. Therefore, no, this is not about religion alone. This is a human rights issues, from every possible aspect.

MYTH #6: MOST ISRAELIS AND PALESTINIANS HATE EACH OTHER

Yes, there is hate on both sides but much more than hate is the desire to see someone just and fair, resolving the issue rather than for a dishonest broker taking sides and dragging the issue out decade after decades, instead of actually resolving it.

MYTH #7: PALESTINIANS WANT TO WIPE ISRAEL OFF THE MAP

Fun Fact: Israel was offered 55% of historical Palestine in 1948 by the UN. Today, Israel controls nearly  98% of historical Palestine, in continuing violations of multiple UN resolutions. Therefore, who exactly is wiping who off the map?

MYTH #8: PALESTINIANS WANT TO DESTROY ISRAEL

All Palestinians want, is:

  1. Full sovereign control of West Bank (including East Jerusalem) and Gaza;
  2. Jerusalem needs to be formally divided between East and West Jerusalem including the de-annexing of 27 square miles of East Jerusalem by Israel in 1967;
  3. Palestinians also want complete freedom to move, work, live, study and travel;
  4. In full fairness, Palestinians expect the full right of return of all 7 million refugees into a full sovereign Palestinian state.

Note: This is a gross over-simplification but it is a starting point Israel does not even want to consider.

MYTH #9: PALESTINIANS CAN’T BE TRUSTED WITH A STATE BECAUSE THEY WILL ATTACK IF GIVEN A CHANCE.

False. While there have been attempts to fight the occupation and blockade, many Palestinians have used, and continue to use, nonviolence to end the Israeli occupation and blockade. Therefore, there is no basis for this line of thinking.

MYTH #10: THERE CAN’T BE PEACE UNTIL ALL PALESTINIANS ADOPT NONVIOLENCE

  1. False. British India had violent independence movements as well as Gandhi’s nonviolence, so clearly violence does not cancel out nonviolence. The same applies to apartheid South Africa or Nazi Germany.
  2. Some would argue if Gaza had not chosen violence, Israel would not have withdrawn from Gaza in 2005. Meanwhile, West Bank leaders have largely opted for peaceful compromise, and in return have seen ever-expanding settlements and the perpetually entrenching occupation. Therefore, while violence is abhorred, resisting occupation is a human right.
%d bloggers like this: